Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 1 - New York to Virginia


Monday, August 5th I started out on my journey and newest art project, Between the Points.  I must admit, the anxiety I felt leading up to the departure was remarkable.  However, the moment I reached the end of the driveway, I knew how rare and special this opportunity and artwork was.
So, off I went - pointed vaguely in the direction of Shenandoah National Rainforest in Virginia.  I wouldn't be able to drive this in one straight shot, so I planned to stop at least once, at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

I first pulled over in the small town of Clinton, New Jersey - a quaint little town, with a beautifully restored historic street and old red mill.  The colors in the town were fantastic - everything bathed in a warm light, accompanied by a fresh breeze and little car traffic.


Back onto the highway, and continued to point it towards Gettysburg.  Just about there, I pulled off to get gas and had to snap a shot of this Amerilube.  I'm not sure if it was the plain nature of the signage, the clean colors and text, or the fact that the word "Amerilube" made me giggle at first that made me stop and capture it.


At last, I made it into Gettysburg National Park!  I parked my car as quickly as possible and hopped on my bike for a much needed stretch.  Gettysburg is incredible.  The landscape is wonderful - thick with old trees, ancient stone walls covered in turquoise moss, and a stillness that seems more and more difficult to find.  It's impossible to grasp the devastation of the Civil War while reading and learning through textbooks.  It seems there is a memorial or gravestone from the way about every 20 feet.

Got yelled at by the locals...


Headed out of Gettysburg and booked it towards Shenandoah National Park.  Landed in a super rad town, called Front Royal, Virginia.  Loved the color, light, and font style on the stores.


Arrived!  Shenandoah National Park, just in time to catch the sunset.


On to the next...