Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day Two - Virginia to Tennessee

Virginia is for ... Fog, Cows, Corn ... oh, and Lovers.

Woke up to layers and layers of fog blanketing the sleepy mountains, and beams of sun striving to break through.  On I went - pointed towards Knoxille, Tennessee!


After about an hour of weaving through the incredible Shenandoah National Park, I stopped in Staunton, Virginia for a coffee and some sketching.


What a rad little town.  I was lucky enough to have the streets more or less to myself, and I was able to meander aimlessly... at least for a short while.
Back in the car, and on to Knoxville!  I somewhat accidentally decided I would drive straight from Staunton to Knoxville, so I got a little stir-crazy towards the end.  Made some of my fastest drawings to date :). 

I made it!  And just in time to get out of the car, onto my bike, and into the Old City of Knoxville.  What a beautiful, vibrant town.  I felt like every turn I took I came across another old building, with layers of painted signage on the top showing development and change over the years.  I was immediately drawn to this wall for that very reason - look closely and you can see the layers underneath "Philco".  I must admit, I've noticed that I've become infatuated with lettering and historic signage, from the color choices to the fonts.


Rounded out the evening with a free, live music concert in Market Square to carry the sun back down to rest.  Looking forward to waking up early to another beautiful day.  Planning to spend the morning putting about Knoxville a little more before heading out to Memphis, Tennessee for the evening.