Monday, August 19, 2013

Day Fourteen - Pacific North West and Canadaland

Press On.

What I liked most about my hotel that night was probably the sign along the driveway stating:
 "Picking up Prostitutes will get you arrested".
Luckily, there were no prostitutes to pick up, my level of cash was low, and my door had a deadbolt.  The other positive things to glean from this was that it was very easy to wake up early and get out of there.

I found myself at a shipyard near Seattle during the early morning exploring the rippled paint, piles of equipment and machinery, and no signs of prostitutes.


I love the way in which natural processes can take over, such as rust, corrosion, and moss.  In particular I enjoy when there is a clearly defined line between past and present take over.  Perhaps its the juxtaposition between the elements that most intrigues me.  A difference in texture, creation, time, etc. 


Into the City on the Sea, and what a beautiful blue day it was.  What a treat, considering I had only heard about how rainy it was.  Thanks for looking out, Seattle!


I strolled down to the water's edge to check out the boats and markets.  Having a sea port of entry, or a well defined system, into the city is so critical to a culture of a location.  I've realized that I'm drawn to these locations, be it by rail yards or sea ports, for the textures they have.  Each location is used and worked incredibly hard, and typically for some time now.  The wear upon the buildings, streets, and machinery feels similar to painting and drawing in regards to its pentimento.

I had been so spoiled with my past city visits of having empty streets.  Seattle's market on a Sunday, however... very much the opposite of empty.  


From fish to fruit, feet to flowers - all senses were aroused upon entering the Pike Street Market.  It reminded me of descriptions I've read about India's markets in being and "assault of the senses", but I would imagine much more tame.  I loved the myriad of texture and color, as well as the energy created within the structure.


I found my way down a quieter alleyway, and stumbled across a small artisan press shop called Pike St. Press.  They specialized in had pressed and printed cards, prints, stationary, etc.  Really unique and well crafted products.  You can tell they had really talented artists working here with a unique, and light hearted, perspective.  I adored their use of text and script in many of their pieces.  I'd definitely check them out.


Not to mention they have a changing artwork outside their building made of chalk.  Chalk is one of my favorite materials to see utilized in public spaces for the same reason I love rail yards and ports - the marks and motions inscribed prior to the top layer seem to always appear.  They may recede to a state where they blend into a foggy background, but that history of motion and action is ever present.


Speaking of history revealed... I had to check out one of the more foul public works I've heard about: The Infamous Gum Wall of Seattle.  Not only is everything sort of dripping and full of, I'm sure, living and breathing organisms, but the smell is... well... less Fruitalicious Gum and more repulsive.


I couldn't help myself, but I can assure you I got out of that hallway about as fast as I found my way into it.


Before I left Seattle I felt like I needed to see a few more cleanly places, so I continued around a few blocks before hopping back into the art mobile for the last leg of the journey.


The landscape started to become much thicker during the trek from Seattle to the Canadian border.  It went from more open freeway streets into thick forests, always with mountains looming in the background.  I could tell I was heading in the right direction.


I love entering British Columbia, whether it is by plane or automobile, because they have done a great job making it feel beautiful and well designed.  At this particular border they have a state park with a Peace Arch.


And with that, into Canadaland I went!

I was ushered into Vancouver with a setting sun, mountains getting ever closer, and an incredible sky of clouds.



In 14 days, I made it to my new home, and what a creative and inspiring journey it was.  Before I get to packaging up the artwork for Between the Points Project, I had to take care of a few things first.


What can I say... after well over 4,000 miles, I think I earned it.

Thank you Artists' Mediums of Williston Vermont, Black Horse Fine Art Supply of Burlington Vermont, Desillusion Magazine, and to everyone who became involved with the project along the way!  I look forward to sending the work out to you all within the next month.  I'll be updating this with the status of shipments.  If you ordered an artwork and are concerned about the address you gave, or have any special instructions please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you for being a part of the journey and creation Between the Points.

Jessa Gilbert











1 comment:

  1. Beautiful posts, great blog and very skilled writing!

    Great trip! Stoked to have you here in BC with me my love. MWAH. See you shortly...
    Damien

    ReplyDelete