Monday, August 26, 2013

One Week In Vancouver, British Columbia

Learning to Simplify and Float

After two weeks in my car driving from New York to Vancouver BC, meandering through the Southern desert, I have begun to settle into my new home, finalize artworks to be sent out in the next few weeks for the over 50 individuals who became involved with this project, and stretch my legs a little.


I'd be lying if I said the first few days were very easy, for it is difficult to move into a new place with no phone, no friends, no bank account... but there are finer things here.

The Ocean.
The Mountains.
A Major City.
The Sunshine.
My Health.

Not to mention a new Studio to settle into.


Looking through my completed pieces from my journey Between the Points, I am noticing a theme of simplification.  Part of this could be due to certain landscapes - the endless golden fields of wheat in Idaho, the flat arid landscape of Northern Texas, or the seemingly endless sky of Oklahoma.

A certain amount of this simplification and editing could also be due in part to moving and being mobile.  One must be very thoughtful about what elements to include since there is limited space in a vehicle, and limited energy in packing boxes upon boxes.  Perhaps this process of simplifying my lifestyle through way of purging belongings found its way into my artwork.


An emphasis on color and light still reigns supreme in the pieces, drawing, watercolor, acrylic, photography, and collage.  I am fascinated by the way in which shadows and tones are dispersed across landscapes and objects depending on their light source.


I have noticed more of a sense of humor and light-heartedness in these small works than I tend to exhibit in my larger acrylic paintings.  Maybe due to their size I feel more free to explore and take chances.  Going through these types of exercises is incredibly valuable for it reinforces the importance of taking chances and risks.


I decided to take the weekend to further reflect on the pieces, and get outside while the weather was nice.  I made my way to Garibaldi Park for some backpacking and camping.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of bears the entire night.  The upside to this fear, much like when I camped at Canyonlands in Utah, is that I was happy to get up and out of the tent early.


The rain from the night before, along with the clouds cloaking the mountain range made for a beautiful and inspiring morning.


I can say without a doubt that until staying in the mountains and waking up to this incredible landscape, where the trail head was an under 2 hour drive from my front doorstep, I didn't know how to feel.  Being within the mountains, and spending time out of the studio surprisingly, helped me grasp that I moved to one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to.  I'm excited to continue to build an Art portfolio, become involved in a new community, and see how this fantastic land seeps into my artwork and creative process.


(So Much) More to Come.

Jessa Gilbert



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Well written. LOVE YOU and so happy to have you here in BC

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I like the new HH sartorial aesthetic- very jaunty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the general sentiment around the whole experience was definitely amplified by the pop of purple color in my Helly Hansen rain jacket.

      Delete